Avocado, palta, aguacate. The name ‘avocado’ originated from the Aztec word ‘ahuacatl,’ which means ‘testicle’. However, did you know that this incredible and healthy food is a fruit? Yes, that is right, avocados are a fruit that mainly comes from southern Mexico. Nowadays, they are also grown in California and Florida, and the green fruit’s popularity is spreading around the globe, making this the reason why they are sometimes expensive to obtain in places like Europe.
Avocados’ taste and texture depend on the region they are from. Florida-grown avocados are lower in fat and firmer, while Hass avocados, which are the most famous, are from Mexico and are perfect for mashing and whipping.
These days, avocado has become a trendy food among health-conscious individuals. It’s often referred to as a superfood, which is not surprising given its health properties.
Numerous studies have found that a predominantly plant-based diet that includes avocado can help to decrease the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and overall mortality while promoting a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy, and overall lower weight.
1. They contain more potassium than bananas – A 3.5-ounce (100-gram) serving packs 14% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA), compared to 10% in bananas
2. Avocados are loaded with fiber – Can contribute to weight loss, reduce blood sugar spikes, and is strongly linked to a lower risk of many diseases.
3. Eating avocado may help you lose weight – In one study, people eating avocado with a meal felt 23% more satisfied and had a 28% lower desire to eat over the next 5 hours, compared to people who did not consume this fruit.
Want to include avocado in your diet now that you know all these interesting facts and benefits? Find below a unique and yummy way to incorporate.
Here is what you will need to make this delicious creamy green smoothie.
1. 1 Ripe avocado. It gives this smoothie an amazingly velvety texture and packs it with healthy fats.
2. 1 Frozen banana – It adds sweetness and makes this smoothie even creamier.
3. ½ Cup frozen pineapple – For a sweet, tropical flair.
4. 2 Cups fresh spinach – Gives smoothies extra green power! Trust me; you won’t be able to taste it.
5. 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice and zest – They make this smoothie super bright, fresh, and tangy.
6. 1 Tsp maple syrup – A dash of extra sweetness.
7. ¾ Cup coconut milk – It gets the blender moving, adds delicious coconut flavor, and makes this smoothie dairy-free!
8. 1 Pinch sea salt.
9. 8 Ice cubes.
Don’t be scared to try out new things or have our culinary experts at Fairmont Mayakoba delight you with our creations.