World Tourism Day 2023, celebrated on September 27th, is a global day of recognition created by the United Nations World Tourism Organization to promote responsible, sustainable, and universally accessible tourism. The theme for this year’s celebration will focus on “green investments” which are investments in tourism that prioritize the protection of the environment and the well-being of local communities. As the global travel and hospitality industry charts a path toward a more sustainable future, it has become vital for the industry to support investing in green initiatives that reduce the world’s carbon footprint and promote eco-friendly operations.
While World Tourism Day is commemorated with a full agenda at the United Nations, as well as observances by governments and supporting corporations around the world, the day is also an opportunity for individual citizens to get involved. Here are some ideas to help you participate in this special day:
1. Plan a trip – You could plan a day trip to a nearby city or local attraction, or board a flight for a getaway to a neighboring country. The best way to support the tourism industry is to travel.
2. Support local businesses – Wherever your travels take you, try to support local businesses. This could mean eating at local restaurants, shopping at local stores, and using local tour guides.
3. Volunteer – Many travel organizations offer volunteer opportunities that allow you to give back to the communities you visit. Consider volunteering for a clean-up at a historic site, teaching English to children, or helping to build a home.
4. Learn something new -Travel is a great opportunity to learn about different cultures, cuisines, and customs. Take a cooking class, visit a museum, or attend a cultural event to broaden your horizons.
5. Share your experiences – Post photos and stories on social media, write a travel blog, or simply talk to your friends and family about your travels. By sharing your experiences, you can inspire others to explore the world and support sustainable tourism practices.
At Fairmont Mayakoba sustainability and pledging to support green investments isn’t a one-day celebration, it’s an everyday commitment. We are aware that being surrounded by biodiversity and communities that we can positively impact comes with great environmental and social responsibility. We also understand the importance of pursuing best practices in hospitality sustainability having recently been awarded a 10th consecutive Sustainable Tourism Certification by Preferred by Nature™. Together, the Fairmont Mayakoba team is motivated by the opportunity to be a part of the positive change we want to see in the world.
We are also a proud member of “Pack for a Purpose”, an initiative that allows our guests to join us in making a lasting impact in the Riviera Maya community. By saving just a small amount of room in your suitcase and bringing supplies for the local projects we support, you’ll make a priceless impact on the lives of our local children and families.
For more information about our eco-friendly resort and to book your Fairmont Mayakoba getaway visit www.fairmont.com/mayakoba